Hope Lutheran is a diverse and thriving community of people who gather in various ways to embrace God and share God's love. We are a relationship based community who believes that God reveals himself through our experiences together. These experiences include worship, fellowship, and service. We are invested in Bozeman and the Gallatin Valley and we provide a home for over 70 community organizations.
Hope Lutheran Church, as a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America (ELCA) confesses the Triune God — Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. We
proclaim Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. In our preaching and teaching Hope
Lutheran Church trusts the Gospel as the power of God for the salvation of all
The ELCA's teaching or theology serves the proclamation and ministry of this
faith. It does not have an answer for all questions, not even all religious
questions. Teaching or theology prepares members to be witnesses in speech
and in action of God’s rich mercy in Jesus Christ.
Click HERE to learn more
Hope Lutheran first entered into the Bozeman community in 1919 as “Bozeman English
Evangelical Lutheran Church.” The first worship service was held in the Adventist Church on South Black street. The church began meeting in what was originally an eight room house on Grand street that served as both parsonage and church. In 1925-26, the old house was torn down and built a wood frame chapel seating 140. It was also at this time that the name change to Hope Lutheran was done in order to combat the discouragement in the community. In the subsequent years, membership increased and by 1960s, both a new sanctuary and educational wing were constructed on Grand Ave. In 1967 Hope was instrumental in starting a new mission congregation in Bozeman, Christ the King Lutheran, with a number of Hope members becoming charter members there. The church continued to grow and in the early 2000s, the land was purchased out on South 19 th for the future site of Hope Lutheran, and the new building at our present location was dedicated in 2008.